Saturday, August 28, 2004

Stanford's Dirty Trick

Well, it's not Stanford's fault, it's my fault, but it always feels better to put the responsibility on someone else...

I've been thinking about how the University would allow us to sell our books back at the end of a term. I used to take advantage of this, and I thought I'd struck gold with the measly $50 or $100 I got back after selling my books for 40-50% of what I paid for them.

And then what? Did I buy some CDs or video games with that? I don't even remember.

14 years later, and I'm realising that my studies are my mental DNA. While I distanced myself from Computer Science as quickly as I could after graduation, it still influences how I think.

The fact that I can't refer back to those books that I studied is almost a loss of identity.

Students are at a disadvantage, though. It's not like most of us were prepared to store a mini-library at that age.

Still, I wish I had at least kept the syllabi.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit Stanford's Dirty Trick to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home