Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The War against the Machines has begun...

but not in a T3 sort of way. As Nico and I have set up a little office choc-full of wireless computer wizardry, we've come to realise a serious problem -- as the complexity of the system (software/hardware) increases, so does the likelyhood of problems with interoperability.

In other words -- nothing seems to work properly for long, and when it goes wrong, there is no causal link between what you've been doing and what went wrong.

For instance, just today, today my printer decided that it didn't want to print. Ok -- so I sent a massive illustrator file to it -- but that's a side point.

Nico has even worse problems as he spent over a month getting iTunes to work on Windows. His approach is to diligently hunt down the problem. Me -- I usually just shut everything down and turn it back on again.

I can never figure out what has gone wrong -- and I was a computer science major -- I've written an OS, for chrissake.

My point is this: the computer industry has been built on consumer acceptance of products that DON'T WORK PROPERLY! Let's call it what it is, and demand the same standard of quality and reliability that we would expect of any other consumer appliance.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit The War against the Machines has begun... to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home