Friday, December 30, 2005

I've joined the Wiki-side

I've avoided Wikis for ages. I think this was due to the fact that I'd seen some horrific examples of websites that you wouldn't wish your worst enemy would have to use.

But this is just down to their techie-roots. Most early wikis were by techies, for techies -- who didn't mind that their page was filled with links like 'devRelease v1.0'

I've since become a regular to Wikipedia and realised the usefulness of Wikis.

So I took it upon myself to find one with Blogger-like simplicity that allowed custom design templates.

Easier said than done. I found a nice, user-friendly one for free called WikiSpaces only to learn that they didn't support simple features like deleting a page. However it looks like they launched in late 2005, so they'd be one to watch.

I settled on EditMe. The closest thing to Blogger out there, but they charge a minimum of US$4.95/month. I'd strongly encourage them to go free, and follow blogger's example -- and get bought out by Google or Yahoo!

Anyhow -- here is my first foray into the Wikisphere: kaigani.editme.com

Watch it grow.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit I've joined the Wiki-side to digg.com reddit

2 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Kai said...

A side note -- EditMe does not offer site archiving for basic customers.

But they did point out this nifty tool: HTTrack which allows you to easily download and archive your website.

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kai,

Just wanted to let you know that Wikispaces now allows people to delete and rename pages. Feedback like yours helped us realize this was a priority so thanks.

More details will be on our blog shortly.

Cheers,
Adam
www.wikispaces.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home