Saturday, January 14, 2006

7 Billion Channels

I've been thinking about better ways to organise my blogger content -- considering I'm approaching 300 posts, and only a chronological means of navigation. Big IA no-no.

But that got me to thinking about the future of blogging in general. If everyone has a blog in the future, it will be the equivalent of 7 billion channels broadcasting at you. What are we meant to do with that much content being generated, and even more to the point -- what sort of legacy is this?

Assuming I continue to blog like this for the rest of my life, there will be roughly 4000 posts by the time I'm in my 60's. This is roughly 800,000 words, which is about 1,600 typewritten pages -- or the size of 3-4 Harry Potter books.

Now-- I of course would like to see this as a digital legacy for my children, grand-children, etc. etc. But who in their right mind would sort through all the broken links, trivial fluff and just-plain-nonsense to find the occasional original idea?

Considering I'm Generation Zero, when it comes to blogging, you take that and multiply it exponentially by the future generations and you'll need a lifetime to read what your ancestors wrote.

So, here's my solution. Blogging needs to converge with Chatbot technology. The sum total of your blogging can form the basis of an expert system.

The scenario is this... my great-grandkid wants to know more about me, so he pulls up my avatar and chats with it. The avatars responses are based on all the digital artefacts I've left over the years, including blogs, commentary... all incorporated into a representation of my knowledge, voice, tone, and sense of humour.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit 7 Billion Channels to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home