Thursday, January 19, 2006

Pimp My Blog

I've been digging into web tools -- thinking about future projects and planning for when I finally get around to relaunching this blog, which I've outgrown.

My main criteria were, ease of completely customising the design without much coding, and intuitive editing features for non-technical users.

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

A good CMS: Limbo CMS
A light-weight version of Mambo/Joomla, which I've played with before. Still, I've yet to see a CMS design that is immediately intuitive. They are still designed using a back-to-front model, rather than front-to-back. I should mention that Textpattern is slightly more intuitive, but it still needs quite a bit of hacking to make it robust enough to power a full feature site.

A good Wiki: DokuWiki
Seems to be flexible, and has a large developer community supporting it with plug-ins. My only concern is the lack of WYSIWYG text editing. For example, FCKeditor or WikiWyg. Although the dev community is working to integrate the FCKeditor.

A good blog: WordPress
I've noted that a lot of the blogs I visited were using this, but I've been burned before by tools that have to run on a remote mySQL database. I finally decided to try and install it, and all I can say is that it was unbelievably simple. One simple edit to a text file, creating a new database, and one install web form and it was up and running. No messing about with CHMOD or tweaking loads of config files.

The verdict? I'm going to relaunch Feverish Mind with WordPress, and for my projects I will be using some sort of CMS/Wiki fusion.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit Pimp My Blog to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home