Thursday, March 16, 2006

Why I don't like server-side services

This story about how Gmail cancelled some guy's account without warning is a poignant example of why I am increasingly uneasy about server-side services.

There has been a lot of hype about Google creating a suite of online services to rival Microsoft Office. And in the Web 2.0 world, this is seen as generally a 'Good Thing'.

But if you've ever experienced Blogger, or del.icio.us or web email service going down -- then you realise how powerless you are.

I've said this since Flickr launched. Why can't services like Flickr exist as a client-side application with a network component? I would love to have a local Flickr to organise and tag my media files.

I already know the answer. It's easier to develop a web application because you can hide shoddy implementation behind a flashy front-end and fix it as it breaks. Whereas you can't hack together a standalone application overnight an expect to release it to the public.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit Why I don't like server-side services to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home