Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Online Games and Levels of Immersion

I've was playing Heroes Mini, a browser-based multiplayer RPG. In the end, I found the gameplay lacking, but the experience sparked a few ideas.

The problem with massively multiplayer games, is that they cater to one type of player. They reward the players (usually obsessive teenagers) who can commit 10+ hours per day playing in the 3D online world.

However, for people like me, the idea of launching a 3D world that will consume all of my waking hours is not a selling point.

What I liked about Heroes Mini was that I could open a browser, and advance the game during a lunch break. I think other online games could borrow from this model.

Allow different levels of immersion. From an RSS feed of what is happening in the world (zero participation), to a web-based experience (low participation) to the full 3D environment (full participation).

The games industry needs to find models that will allow the older, busier gameplaying community to get involved at an appropriate level.

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit Online Games and Levels of Immersion to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home