Friday, September 01, 2006

What Would Sugar Say?

In this line of work, it's important to be precise, detail-oriented, and -- let's face it -- downright anal. At other times, however, the opposite is true and simplicity is key.

It's not always easy to change gears. Yesterday afternoon, I started a document, and it felt like my language was getting increasingly overcomplicated.

This morning I scrapped what I'd written, except for the outline, and I tried a thought experiment. After writing a paragraph, I would read it back to myself, imagining it in the voice of Alan Sugar (UK's Donald Trump).

Sounds silly, but it worked. It prevents you from writing sentences like "this will enable users to utilize the system in an optimal manner," instead writing, "this makes it easier for people to use."

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit What Would Sugar Say? to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home