Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Longer term prediction - ambient power sources

Well, I didn't do my 2007 predictions, in part because I wasn't sure I could top my 2006 predictions.

But I will post a futurist idea I had over the holiday when my mom asked "when will everything be completely wireless?"

At first, my response was -- "power can never be wireless. probably everything will have a rechargeable battery, but eventually it will have to charge."

But then I thought -- what about an ambient, surface-based-transmission power source?

Here's how it would work. The outer layer of your phone, or monitor, or whatever electronic device would receive power when in contact with a power transmitting surface -- such as a desk. The surfaces would need to conduct electricity only when in contact with each other, otherwise they would be inert and safe to touch.

In other words, you put something down and it starts charging until you pick it up. No more power cables.

Labels:

 
Technorati del.icio.us submit Longer term prediction - ambient power sources to digg.com reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home